Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Night in Norway

Well, I can officially say last night was the most intense night of my life. Better than any party I've been to, any Christmas, any birthday... this is democracy and history.

At about 11 pm Max and I went to get some beers to make a toast to Obama and then we went back to the hotel and turned on CNN. A few hours later I woke up with a passed out Russian sleeping on top of me. hahahaha. We couldn't stay AWAKE! But at about 5 I woke up and checked the news and there it was. "Obama is the next president." Wow. It was the most moving moment of my life. Unfortunately the state being so heavily influenced by the church ruined this feeling for a moment (the passing of Amendment 2), but I'm still elated.

In Norway I have tried escaping the identity of an American and have tried becoming just "Johanna" plain and simply. But today I WANTED everyone to know I'm American and I felt some respect for the first time because of my nationality. I bought a Norwegian newspaper with an awesome report of the election. I look forward to returning now. :)

Anyways, this gig is awesome. It's basically payed vacation. 4-5 hours of rehearsal everyday and the rest is free. I haven't seen too much of this city (besides there not being much to see). But I have used these couple of days to revamp. School is hard when you go an entire semester without any break. And I have been told to expect about $2000 from this gig. Pretty amazing. No northern lights yet. Still waiting for the rain to go away. Blah.

But now I'm going to try to get my blood pressure back down to normal and go eat at another expensive restaurant (because that is all there is). Ciao for now!

No comments: